Simona Halep celebrates her victory over Victoria Azarenka in their women's singles quarterfinal match at the US Open on Wednesday in New York City. Photo: CFP
Second seed Simona Halep Cheap Nike Air Max Outlet , cheered on by Romanian gymnastics great -Nadia Comaneci, fought off a determined challenge from former world No.1 Victoria Azarenka to reach the semifinals of the US Open on Wednesday.

The 23-year-old Halep, of Romania, chasing her first Grand Slam singles title Cheap Air Max 1 Outlet , came out strong against the Belarussian after an 85-minute, third-set rain delay to secure a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 victory and a last-four clash against Italy's Flavia Pennetta.

"It was a tough match. I'm really -happy that I could win Cheap Air Max 90 Outlet , I don't know where it comes, the power to win this match," said the diminutive, but hard-hitting Halep.

Halep was run ragged in the second set by Azarenka who sent her scurrying from corner to corner as she fought back to level the quarterfinal at one set apiece.

A light rain forced them off the court in the fourth game of the third set but when they returned to Arthur Ashe -Stadium Cheap Air Max Outlet , a revived Halep took command.

"I was a bit tired after the second set and that break helped me. Thanks God, for raining," Halep said in an on-court interview.

"I found the power to give everything to win this one because I really wanted to play first time the semifinals here."

After an opening set dominated by Halep, two-time Australian Open winner Azarenka Cheap Nike Air Max 1 , who has slipped to 20th in the world rankings after battling injuries the last two seasons, battled back.

Emotions ran high with both players shrieking in frustration after mistakes and roaring in self-encouragement after an important point.

After the break, Halep served an ace on the first point back on court to level the third set at 2-2, before breaking in the seventh game for the margin she needed to reach the semifinal.

Halep was cheered on by a noisy contingent of flag-waving Romanians and a special guest in the player's box Cheap Nike Air Max 90 , five-time Olympic gold medal winning gymnast Comaneci.

"It was great to have a great champion in my box. It was a good day for all of us," Halep said.

Pennetta, 33, ousted twice Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova Cheap Nike Air Max , the fifth seed from the Czech Republic, in three sets to advance.

URUMQI, Nov. 6 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese Air Force's August 1st Air Demonstration Team on Monday left for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to take part in the Dubai Airshow, which is scheduled to last from Nov. 12-16.

The team will also visit Pakistan after the airshow and stage aerobatic performances there on Nov. 20 Cheap Air Max 1 , according to the Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force.

Seven J-10 aerobatic fighter jets embarked on the trip.

Shen Jinke, spokesman of the PLA Air Force, said the air force is ready for pragmatic exchange and cooperation in more fields and many levels with air forces of other countries and to make new contributions to peace and development.

The team has staged more than 600 aerobatic shows for delegations from 168 countries and regions. It has also visited several countries for performances, including Russia and Thailand.

by Fu Yiming

STOCKHOLM, March 22 (Xinhua) -- The world needs effective and inclusive water governance amid a growing demand, said Hakan Tropp, director of water governance at the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI), on Wednesday.

The amount of water available is unchanging, yet demand for it is growing every day, especially from the manufacturing, energy and food producing sectors, he told Xinhua during a ceremony held here for announcing the 2017 Stockholm Water Prize winner.

"We see an increasing number of cities and factories reaching further into the rural landscape to claim water resources, increasing the potential for water to be a source of tough trade-offs and social and political tensions," he noted.

Tropp called for an effective and inclusive governance of water resources worldwide.

"The world needs effective, and more inclusive water governance. We need to make better decisions today to manage the water demands of tomorrow," he said.

"We also need to make sure that the water available is used for the greater public good and is recognized as a critical component to eradicating poverty," the water expert added.

According to SIWI, nearly 40 percent of the world's population lives in countries that share river basins. Increasing stress on water resources globally demands reasonable and equitable use of transboundary waters.

SIWI also believes that improved management of transboundary waters reduces the potential for conflict, fosters socio-economic development, promotes shared benefits, and supports healthy ecosystems and services.

Tropp pointed out that water resources are currently over-exploited and polluted in many places, and millions of people around the world lack access to safe water and basic sanitation.

"I hope to see clear political direction that empowers decision-makers to make better choices for both people and the environment," he said.

"For example, improved water governance reduces investment risks. A more stable and reliable investment environment leads to more investments into water. By ensuring that infrastructure procurement processes are transparent, contract costs can be kept much lower while maintaining a higher quality of infrastructure services delivery," the expert added.

Tropp criticized the current decision making on water issues for being "often fragmented between government institutions and agencies," urging better cooperation between them and a unified water mandate.

"The unpredictability of climate change impacts can reduce the effectiveness of legislation as a tool for water governance. This is why negotiated outcomes -- inclusive processes that bring .